Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Late, Great Interview

Last night Gaby and I did something we thought was fun, even though we also realized that it probably makes us either serious intellectuals, or nerds – or both. We happily sat in bed with my laptop on a Saturday night and watched a Mike Wallace interview from 1959. It was just him and my favorite author Ayn Rand. The video is so basic that I called it high schoolish. Which, by today's standards, it is. There's no scrolling info at the top or bottom of the screen; the camera jumps and wavers; the CG is primitive, and it's shot in black and white. The sound is even bad. But having said that, it's also totally engrossing. I can't remember ever being so drawn into an interview. His questions are tough; and she answers every, single one of them with the practice and fearlessness I would expect from her caliber of intellect. There are so many people who are, after all these years, still misunderstanding what she had to say, and why. But I'm happy to share it anyway.

No comments: