Friday, April 3, 2009

Recommended Reading

I finished reading Micheal Panzer's book Financial Armageddon a few months ago. I was stunned. He first had the book published in 2006, which means he probably wrote it over the course of '04 & '05. I felt like I was reading a newspaper from this morning. Every page of it has come true. A coming depression, check; bank failures, check; insurance company failures, check; big bailouts and other government guarantees that don't work, check; on and on and on. At one point, I put the book down in front of Gaby, and I said “this man is a genius and a prophet.”

But then he goes off of the deep end, and becomes apocalyptic. I shook my head at almost all of the doomsday language. But here's the problem: his other predictions have been so accurate that his doomsday writing is credible. He also has over 25 years of experience in the financial markets. I'm still shaking my head at the doomsday business. Maybe I just don't want to believe it. His Financial Armageddon has been “revised and updated.” It's ranked #332,237 at Amazon.com, and it's only 185 pages long. Now he's following it up with a book called “When Giants Fall.”

He also has a blog with a great graph called “Putting the Recession in Perspective,” and an even better video called “Geithner Plan II: Let's Go to the Chalkboard.”

If The Creature From Jekyll Island, A Second Look at the Federal Reserve, sounds like slightly dry reading, it's not. It's written like a who-dunnit. Just reading the first sixty-six pages should get you hooked (the first three chapters). I'm in the middle of it right now, and I can't believe what our Federal Reserve system is founded upon. Nothing. Nothing. It's all a house of cards. And it was put in place intentionally to prevent the kinds of economic problems that it's now creating. Now I'm kind of mad at myself for getting so into it, since it's nearly six hundred pages long. Honestly, though, it's not boring reading.

No comments: