Monday, May 4, 2009

Video Games Aren't For Kids Anymore

I've been taking a few needed diversions here and there from my usual posts on economics and political economy. Some of my recent topic alternatives have been Britain's Got Talent, and the Etrade baby commercials – which are hilarious. And here's another nice diversion.

On sleepless nights, I find myself playing a cute game called “World Of Goo.” I have several other computer games, mainly because I've stopped watching television, and I don't always want to crack open yet another book. And also because so many games are now so creative and so involved they're more like taking an active part in a really great book. The games being played today are not all just shoot-em-up, nor are they the children-oriented video games we remember from years ago.

Rather, the pastime of video gaming, while arguably still in its infancy, has become one of the most creative and rewarding activities a person can get involved in – other than, maybe, programming your own game, or writing your own book.

“World Of Goo” is by no means like a vibrant book come to your computer screen. The storyline is simple and obvious. There's no dialog. And it's two dimensional, and cartoon like. But it's also fantastically creative, and it's won so many awards that I had to pass it on.

You can read reviews and down load a demo for free here.

And you can find a step-by-step helper's video blog here

1 comment:

Ravin said...

I have this game myself. It's like crack!!!